Intercultural Competency for Training Personnel
Within the framework of the two-year project, it is planned to develop at least four continuing education modules for educational staff to acquire intercultural competences and two ECVET learning outcome units for the intercultural preparation of participants. The participating vocational schools in Germany are increasingly teaching young people/trainees with a migrant background or without German citizenship. The training personnel have specialist, didactic and diagnostic skills that they acquired during their studies and were able to deepen and expand in practice. Teaching young people/apprentices with poor language skills in German makes it difficult to use tried and tested teaching materials and methods and changes teaching processes. The educational staff must be enabled to deal with the intercultural challenges of everyday school life.
Two vocational schools from Lohne and Gifhorn are involved in the project, which determine/experience the needs described in the respective schools. One teacher from each of the participating schools will be involved in the development of the planned continuing education modules and actively participate in the trial phase. The participating teachers will then be enabled by the new European experiences to integrate the continuing education modules into the everyday life of vocational schools after the end of the project.
The survey of teachers from three other vocational schools in Münster, Magdeburg, and Stendal showed that the need described also exists, that no intercultural knowledge is imparted within the framework of the studies and that no state further training for teachers on the subject is offered. The schools will profit from the results of the project and are interested in the continuing education modules, but at the moment they cannot release any teachers for active participation in the project.
- 3 projects in the Erasmus+ Project Results database that have worked on/developed intercultural themes/learning content within their projects but with a focus on trainers / no teachers
(Sources: Education server of the Länder, KursNET of the Agentur für Arbeit)
1. further training of educational staff at vocational schools
2. development of four training modules -themes:
3. description of two ECVET learning outcome units for intercultural preparation of participants
4. extension of the applicant's European network by the integration of two new project partners (Sweden, Denmark)
Target groups in the project:
- Staff and teachers of the participating project partners, as well as the institutions themselves
- School/college teachers additionally involved in the partner countries during the trial phase
- the applicant, who will benefit, among other things, from the extension and consolidation of the partnerships
- Students/trainees of the participating institutions
The project partners from Malta, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Finland and France have experience in dealing with pupils, students and professionals from different cultures and partly carry out intercultural seminars themselves. The practical experience of the project partners is important for the development of the training modules. The learning contents already used by them for intercultural preparation, e.g. by German participants, will be incorporated into the continuing education modules. The cooperation in the project already promotes the intercultural competence of the participating persons of the project partners.
Between the analysis phase and the trial phase, 7 project partners meet in each partner country for coordination and evaluation.
In addition to the four continuing education modules and the ECVET learning outcomes units, a concept for implementing the continuing education modules in the everyday life of a vocational school will also be developed.